Okay, honesty moment!! Twix were probably my favorite candy growing up..or Skor bars…yes, I ate candy… we even had a huge candy drawer at my house that we filled up every year at halloween after trick-or-treating. I can’t even really imagine going and buying a traditional candy bar these days, so it’s kind of hilarious to look back on all of this. Obviously, I still have treats, but I definitely look at ingredient labels to make sure they are simple and don’t contain any unnecessary dyes, chemicals, or HFCS…ew! I also am shocked by how sweet these desserts are once you aren’t used to consuming massive amounts of sugars.
ANYWAYS, I had to healthify the twix since it was one of my favorites growing up! This recipe has a few steps, so it’s definitely for special occasions. But, the good news is that the ingredients can be used for multiple things.
For instance, the cookie part can also dub as a cracker recipe! So, make a double batch, nix the sweetener, and add in some savory ingredients to kill two birds with one stone! The caramel sauce is also great on it’s own as you saw from Monday’s post!
- 6 soaked dates
- 2 tbsps date water
- 2 tbsps almond butter
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- salt to taste!
- Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth!
- To make this more liquidy, add in more coconut oil or ghee!
- To make it thicker you could add in some gelatin!
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsps flax meal (I prefer to use whole seeds that I grind fresh!)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsps honey/maple syrup
- pinch sea salt
- Combine flax meal, water, honey, and salt
- Mix brown rice and almond flour
- Stir flour mixture into the flax ‘egg’
- Batter should be very thick!
- Roll dough out to about a 1/8 inch thickness
- Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes!
- Cut into rectangles for twix:)
- Lilly’s dark chocolate, Enjoy life vegan/gluten free/ soy free chocolate, or your personal favorite chocolate with healthful ingredients
- OR make your own raw chocolate using this base recipe!
Make cookie dough and bake!
Make caramel sauce while cookie is baking
Place caramel in fridge to harden a little more
Cut cookies into rectangles
Spread chocolate on cookies and freeze (this is the bottom!)
Pull cookies out and flip over so that the chocolate is on the bottom
Spread a layer of caramel onto wafer
Pour chocolate over the top, freeze to quicken the process, and ENJOY!
Let us know what you thought of this recipe! Follow us on facebook (www.facebook.com/yourholisticrendezvous ) and Instagram so that you can tag us in your creations! Use the #holisticrendezvous so we can see your renditions! We hope you enjoy!!