Okay, so who doesn’t loveeee pesto…obviously we do considering this is our third recipe! This recipe focuses on adding as many greens as possible…and in variety! When I made it, I was unable to locate basil, so I simply used kale, parsley, and arugula that I
had on hand. However, you could add in basil, cilantro, or whatever other yummy greens you want!
This is an amazing spread to have on hand because you can use it to as a vegetable dip, sautee kale or other veggies with it, or make a delicious polenta pizza…we can’t wait to share that recipe ?
Remember, herbs are amazing booster foods! They contain a large amount of nutrition in small quantities, so when you make a dip loaded with them, you are truly creating a nutrient dense condiment! Plus, this recipe utilizes garlic too which is also an amazing booster food! Garlic is a wonderful immune booster-what I consider nature’s antibiotic– and it is fantastic for your heart!
This recipe is also a little different than most that we post because it contains raw cheese. We boast the benefits of a plant-based diet and definitely stick to that most of the time, but adding in some animal products isn’t a bad thing, especially when you have high quality items. Raw cheeses contain beneficial enzymes and bacteria that are good for your gut, so consuming raw cheese is beneficial over pasteurized cheese (in our opinion-we will write about this soon!). It is also extremely important to look for organic or pasture raised dairy and animal products because they are not only better for you, but they ensure that the animal has been treated in a humane way. Pasture raised meats and cheese contain no hormones or antibiotics, contain more nutrients, a better ‘healthy fat’ ratio, and come from cows that were fed a proper diet-not one laced with GM corn and soy or grains that are not meant for cows (they eat grass!).
**This recipe doesn’t give exact measurements because you really just add in what you want and keep throwing stuff in until you love the way it tastes and it meets the standard for what you want to make with it- we are all different!
- 2 cups kale
- 1-2 cups parsley
- 1-2 cups arugula
- 2 garlic cloves (or more if you love garlic like me!)
- 1/4-1/2 cup olive oil (based on how thin you want it!)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp himalayan pink sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup raw cheese of choice (you definitely want a sharp cheese like a parmesan)
- chop greens into smaller pieces to fit into blender/ food processor
- Blend kale, parsley, arugula, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and 1/2 of the olive oil!
- Add more olive oil, depending on ease of blending and desired consistency
- Once all of the ingredients are well blended and combined, add in shredded cheese of choice and blend!
- At the end, add in more olive oil if desired
Try this pesto recipe or check out or vegan and traditional ones and let us know what you think! You won’t be disappointed! As always, tag us @holisticrendezvous and #holisticrendezvous to be involved with us on social media 🙂