Oh my goodness, I must admit that I am completely obsessed with this recipe. I had to take it twice this week to ‘taste test’ it and make sure that it was perfect before I shared it with you all…pretty sure it was perfect the first time, but I’ll take any excuse to make another batch. Especially considering it hasn’t been lasting long, oops!
Not only is this treat absolutely delicious, but it is full of awesome ingredients that have many health benefits…and it’s CHOCOLATE!
Grabbing a square of this chocolate will give you wonderful essential fatty acids from the coconut oil, coconut milk, and coconut flakes! In fact, I would say these healthy fats are a necessary part of your day, so why not eat these healthy fats in chocolate form, right?!
While the healthy fats make up a huge part of this recipe, there are also some other shining stars, like cacao! Raw cacao has been touted for its immune boosting benefits and antioxidant properties. Raw cacao has almost 5 times more antioxidant activity when compared with roasted cocoa, making it superior in its health benefits.
Chocolate is also said to help boost metabolism, be beneficial to your heart by regulating blood cholesterol, contain beneficial fiber, and contain many important minerals.
If that’s not enough…chocolate actually makes you feel good! It contains the neurotransmitters dopamine and phenylethylamine, which not only boost your mood, but also give you energy, increase mental alertness, and aid in weight loss.
If you didn’t love chocolate already, I bet you do now, so check out the recipe below and EAT UP!
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp raw cacao
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (the top cream part-if you put the can in the refrigerator it will separate and you can just scoop the cream off of the top!)
- 2 tbsps grade B maple syrup
- pinch sea salt
- lots of fresh vanilla or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: I also made a batch with vega raw chocolate protein powder and caramel extract…heavenly, so get creative!
Ingredients (coconut stuffing):
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup coconut butter (or just more coconut flakes blended with cream)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk cream (see above)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Optional: Add in some chopped nuts…I made the second batch with cashews and it was amazing!
- Stir all chocolate ingredients together, taste testing along the way 😛
- Use half of the chocolate mixture to pour a layer of chocolate onto unbleached parchment paper (preferably) or plastic wrap..or chocolate molds if you have them!
- Place in freezer to harden
- Next, stir together coconut stuffing ingredients.
- Now pull the chocolate from the freezer, making sure it is hard.
- Spread the coconut mixture onto chocolate evenly.
- Use remaining chocolate to top the coconut.
- If you wish to top the chocolate like I did in the pictures, do this now…I added cacao nibs and hemp seeds for crunch and color!
- Place back in freezer.
- Once hard, cut into bite sized pieces and enjoy!
You will become just as obsessed with this recipe as we are…so get your ingredients and TRY THIS OUT NOW!! Let us know what you think, even though we know you are probably already in love with this decadence. Post pictures of your chocolate creations and hashtag #holisticrendezvous and tag us so we can see all your delicious chocolates that are full of love!