Candy Canes are one of the seasons number one treats, whether they are hanging on a tree or hanging out of your mouth!
Unfortunately, candy canes are loaded with unnecessary sugar, so we decided to make a recipe that tastes just like candy canes and even has the red hue!
One of the great things about candy canes is their peppermint flavor, which lends to some great nutritive properties!
Peppermint oil doesn’t just make your breath smell lovely, it is also great for your stomach, especially in IBS, gas, and other GI issues.
We also use Coconut which we could talk on forever about it’s health benefits. Coconut is an extremely healthy fat because it is full of MCT’s or medium chain triglycerides which help with weight loss, brain function, and skin health!
- 2 cups desiccated coconut (or 1/4 cup coconut butter)
- 1/4 tsp peppermint oil extract
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- beet juice or the water beets were boiled in!
- Boil beets in water…You’ll get to have these beets for salads and whatever else you want..yum!
- Use a high speed blender or food processor to process the coconut into coconut butter!
- Per 1/4 cup of coconut butter, add 1/4 tsp of peppermint oil extract
- Then, add you sweetener of choice! We used 1 tbsp of maple syrup.
- Next, if you want the candy cane look, add in beet water from the boiled beets with a spoon and mix until you get a candy cane look!
**You could also mix peppermint oil extract and beet juice and pour this on coconut flakes for a different look!
There are SO many options for the candy cane from this point…
- Take this mixture, spread evenly, cut into bites, and freeze for candy cane treats you can suck on!
- Crumble the candy cane mixture to use as toppings…stay tuned for this use!
- Freeze into little circles to make york Christmas peppermint patties as we did below! It’s super simple…just cover in your favorite dark chocolate!
Do you guys love candy canes?! Let us know! How else would you want to see this delicious treat used? We have a special use for it that we can’t wait to share with you soon! Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more food porn and inspiration! Peace and love! HR