I love butternut squash for so many reasons! It is packed with vitamin A, fiber, vitamin C (one cup contains half your daily recommendation), folate, and it is delicious! I also love the fact that it is super low in calories, so it is a volume food! MORE FOOD, yayy! It is packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and nutrients, but not an absurd amount of calories, such a power food!
Luckily, it also works great in baked goods, just like pumpkin puree, bananas, and apple sauce! I found a recipe from www.bestfitbody.com to try out and I made a few adjustments. You can find the original recipe here.
I have made many different versions of this, but decided to give theirs a try today! I typically use a little more butternut squash which gives it a creamier moist flavor. These are nice and fluffy!
- 85 grams butternut squash
- 3 tbsps egg whites
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsps oat bran
- 1/2 scoop protein powder (I used gnarly whey)
- stevia to taste
- toffee extract
- vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsps water
- Blend all ingredients together to a smooth texture
- Use a non stick pan or griddle and heat it to a medium high heat before placing batter onto it
- Place batter into circles or whatever shape you want! Wait until you see them begin to bubble on the top and until you can easily get a spatula underneath them and flip them!
- Top them with whatever your heart desires! I used honey, greek yogurt, and a couple carob chips!
- Calories: 232
- Fat: 4 grams
- Carbs: 27 grams
- Protein: 22 grams