The dessert of your dreams: Sweet Potato Caramel Slice
So…I have a confession! My friends, family, and I have been enjoying these INSANELY good Sweet Potato Caramel Slice since Thanksgiving and they are freaking amazing! We have all been going wild over these and they are finally ready for your tastebuds!
These healthy slices are salty, sweet, and completely satisfying. Plus they contain ingredients that are great for you! Sweet potatoes are high in beta carotene, nuts and seeds have healthful fats and protein, and then I added a surprise ingredient to the sweet potato caramel slice… gelatin.
Gelatin may be considered a superfood because it has so many health benefits. Gelatin is great for joint health, collagen production, and will make your skin glow! Not only that, but it is a great source of protein and will add density to desserts without extra calories from other bulking ingredients! The gelatin we recommend is Vital Proteins because it is sourced from grass-fed cows! You can grab that here!
Now, onto the recipe!
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup brazil nuts
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsps coconut oil
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp honey
- large pinch sea salt
- Sweet Potato Filling:
- 1-2 sweet potatoes, cooked (a little over a cup)
- 1 cup soaked cashew
- ¼ cup water
- pinch sea salt
- 10 dates
- 2 tbsps almond butter
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp coarse ground sea salt (or more to taste)
- ½ cup date water
- 2 tbsp gelatin
- Soak nuts/ seeds overnight (not necessary if you are in a bind!)
- Blend all ingredients together until sticky (doesn't need to be super smooth!)
- Press into a square on a piece of parchment paper.
- Sweet Potato Filling:
- Soak cashews overnight and drain
- Blend cashews with sweet potatoes, water, and sea salt!
- Spread over the crust smoothly.
- De-seed dates and soak overnight.
- Remove the dates from water, but keep the date water for blending.
- Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth!
- Spread caramel over the top of the sweet potato filling.
- Freeze the three layers.
- Once hard, melt your favorite chocolate (we love lilly's or enjoy life) or use our base raw chocolate recipe.
- Then, Pour over top to create a chocolate crust.
- Lastly, cut and ENJOY! We like to keep these frozen in the freezer, but they can also be kept in the fridge for a softer texture!
Let us know what you think of these! I know it seems like a bit of work, but it makes a large batch that will last you and it is TOTALLY worth it! Make sure to subscribe, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Instagram for more recipes and posts like this! Peace and love, HR