I love making icings for protein cakes, cupcakes, and even my morning pancakes/ waffles! While I think it is definitely okay to indulge in a little ‘real’ icing every once in a while, I prefer to keep it healthy so I can eat it all day errryyydaayy. Just kidding, but I do feel good about eating these icings!
In this picture, I made a peanut butter icing for my protein chocolate cake for Valentines day!
Some of the ingredients that I use for icings:
- A super tasty protein powder! It should probably taste pretty good, otherwise it’s not going to be the most delicious icing.
- Greek yogurt! Greek yogurt has a great texture and is an awesome base to add other ingredients to, or it can be used on its own with just a little honey or stevia to make a fabulous icing.
- Sweetener. I like to use stevia, but honey, coconut sugar, and coconut nectar are also good choices for sweeteners
- Peanut butter, almond butter, coconut butter…it’s alll good!
- Peanut flour is something I also tend to use a lot!
Making your own icing is seriously SO simple…I make it different almost every time, which is why I wanted to give a list of ingredients instead of a solid recipe. I honestly just add random ingredients until it tastes delicious to me…you really can’t mess it up!
For this icing on the chocolate cake I used a mixture of greek yogurt, peanut butter, and coconut
sugar. It turned out amazing and so peanut buttery and delicious, which was a perfect pairing for chocolate…who doesn’t love peanut butter and chocolate!