I have been in North Carolina for the holidays and was inspired by some of the local fare in the area! Greens and peanuts are local to the area and are in season right now, so I thought this would be a fun pairing…and it definitely was!
I grew up seeing boiled peanuts for sale at stand on the side of the road and they were always a fun treat! They are sweet, savory, and have a delicious texture that compliments greens perfectly.
We used a pretty basic recipe, but adding in bacon or bacon fat would also make a great pairing and make these even more southern…if you’re from the dirty south like me ;P
- Boiled Peanuts
- Local greens (turnip, collard, mustard,etc)
- salt and pepper
- Boil peanuts (or purchase peanuts that are already boiled!)
- Mince garlic cloves and dice onion
- Sautee onions and garlic
- Steam greens and then add to sautéed onions and garlic
- Next, add in your boiled peanuts, a squeeze of lemon, and salt and pepper to taste
Try this recipe out and let us know what you think! We loved it and our families enjoyed this interesting combo as well! Don’t forget to subscribe, like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram for updates and more amazing posts like this! 🙂