We all freaking love chocolate…and I personally love CRUNCH! Not the kind of crunch that you get with veggies like celery or carrots, not even the kind of crunch that you get from nuts or seeds. I like the kind of crunch that comes from like a chip or a protein bar. Luckily I have gotten over this obsession with crunch, but I did find a way to completely satisfy that craving in a healthy way!
One of my clients was telling me how they liked to have a little after dinner treat and I was totally on bored with that because #treatyoself . The current choices were unfortunately loaded with saturated fats, artificial sweeteners, and ingredients that are on my no-no list. So, I started giving suggestions, but she was like that shit has GOT to have a good crunch. Girl, I know what you mean, TRUST ME. So, I decided to make come up with a recipe that would satisfy her ‘sweet crunch tooth’…and mine! Oh, and all of yours of course too!
I love that this recipe is loaded with healthy fats and protein to balance out the carbohydrates. AKA it is totally to cool to consume at night without spiking your blood sugar…we do not want that type of snack going into the evening!
- ½ cup unsweetened carob chips (or chocolate chips)
- 3 rice cakes
- ½ cup brazil nuts (chopped)
- ⅓ cup coconut flakes
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp coarse ground sea salt (or maldon salt)
- protein powder (optional)
- other nuts/seeds (optional)
- Using a double broiler melt carob (or chocolate).
- Add in coconut oil to thin it out.
- If you are adding protein powder now is the time to mix that in. Hint: vegan protein powders are probably not going to work because they will thicken this up to much. Stick with collagen or a grass-fed whey).
- Dump in your ingredients! I prefer to start with the smallest to the biggest.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Spread onto a piece of parchment paper about ½ inch thick and let cool.
- Once it has cooled, break into pieces, store, and enjoy!