In my opinion, dates have a delicious caramel texture/ flavor, so these are like little chocolate covered caramels of bliss! I made these for my parents and their wicked sweet tooth. Luckily, these are rich enough, so that one is enough to have you more than satisfied.
While dates are fairly high in sugar, they are also packed with nutrients and fiber, making them a filling snack and great replacement to processed candy.
Dark chocolate has been all over the media recently for its health benefits, including being high in antioxidants, full of vitamins and minerals, and having positive affects on brain and heart health. Just make sure your chocolate is at least 70% cocoa and has no artificial sweeteners or ingredients.
- 10 pitted dates
- 10 pieces of pecans
- 1/2 cup melted dark chocolate chips (I use organic or a chocolate with the least ingredients and highest cacao percentage-make sure there is no HFCS!)
- cracked himalayan sea salt
- First, stuff each date with a pecan piece and close it back up! (these fit easily into the pit hole)
- Next, dip your dates and evenly cover them in the melted chocolate
- Set them on a piece of parchment paper for easy removal and crack fresh himalayan salt on top!