Recipes for bean bars have been circulating the internet because they give you the ability to make delicious, nutrient dense desserts that are packed with fiber and thus more blood sugar balancing! Beans are so great for you because they are high in fiber, iron, and protein. You can eat these Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bean Bars at any time of day because they are the perfect snack or breakfast!
If you’re like me, beans may cause bloating and flatulence, so these may not be for you, or you may just need to consume them in moderation. This could also occur if your body isn’t accustomed to such large amounts of fiber. So you may try taking a digestive enzyme or just monitoring your intake. I have also made these with lentils, which tend to be easier to digest and thus cause less bloating and gas!I love this recipe because it isn’t super sweet and it is a base recipe that you can work from. Create your own flavor profile by adding banana, more protein powder, cocoa powder, different extracts, etc! GET CREATIVE!
One of my all time favorite ways to give these a pop of flavor is by frosting them with my Vegan Cookie Dough ! This is like a decadent treat, but it can totally be breakfast as well!
- ½ cup oats
- 1 can garbanzo beans (drain and rinse)
- ½ cup egg whites (or 2 whole eggs)
- ½ cup all natural peanut butter
- 1 scoop vanilla pea protein powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- a couple droppers full of toffee stevia (my all time favorite flavor!)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- dark chocolate chips
- Blend all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips, until smooth.
- Pour into a pan, keeping it about 1 inch thick.
- Then, top with dark chocolate chips!
- Bake at 350 for about 20 ish minutes!
I know you’re going to love this special treat, especially when you are feeling like dessert for breakfast. In fact, I keep a batch that is frosted in my freezer for when I am having one of those mornings. Make sure to tag @holisticrendezvous and use the hashtag #holisticrendezvous so I can see your recreations!